Monday, September 1, 2014

Aggieland

Ira and I have been together for 7 years, he has always been a professor, but this is the first time we have lived in a true college town. And how. I grew up with fairly rabid Penn State fans, and in an area where many people went to that school. I went to a big state school and became a college sports fan. I think I have a sweatshirt someplace....
But Aggieland is something different.
First of all, what the hell is an Aggie??
According to the FAQ page on the Texas A&M website, "An Aggie is a student at Texas A&M University. In the early 1900s A&M students were referred to as Farmers. The term Aggie began to be used in the 1920s and in 1949, when the yearbook changed its name to Aggieland, Aggie became the official student body nickname."
Every business is the "official" something something of the Aggies. Official mattress provider of the Aggies. No joke. The local Ashley Furniture Store had a special last weekend where if the Aggies won by more than 10 for their first football game of the season, your purchase was free. We laughed and laughed at the ad. Until they won.
And the t-shirts. Everyone is wearing A&M gear. Even people you wouldn't think would be school spirit types. I expect the jocks and frat boys to be sporting official gear. The sorority girls with A&M tank tops and jean shorts, fine. But when the woman with the cool dye job and Warby Parker frames is wearing something that says "Gig Em Aggies", it kind of messes with me! The kids at the grocery store, shopping with their parents for a semester's supply of ramen are like a little maroon family strolling the aisles. Dad is an Aggie Dad, mom is an Aggie Mom. It's just all so fascinating. You would think after living in a foreign country, something like this wouldn't faze me, but this is all very unfamiliar. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get an Official Aggie Taco.    

No comments:

Post a Comment